Tuesday 22 January 2019

SLJ Day 3 Taking Action Week 4

Activity 1 Predator Free 2050 - A Call To The Arms
I liked the first video, the Cacophony Project.
I choose this video because I think that using technology as
part of the traps is a really cool idea. I think that adding technology
to the pest traps will help catch them faster, and that the big project
they are working on will work really well.

Activity 2 Protecting The Most Vulnerable
  1. Māui dolphin males are smaller and lighter than the females
  2. There are 63 individual Māui dolphins left in the world
  3. Female Māui dolphins can weigh up to 50 kg in weight
  4. Māui dolphins have a pointed dorsal fin
  5. Māui dolphins have mixed groups with male and female
  6. Māui dolphins like to swim in water deeper than 20 m


Activity 3
Polar Bear: I would save the polar bear because I don’t think that
it is fair that their population is declining because of global warming.


Panda:  I would save the panda because they are being hunted by
humans and their habitat is being destroyed.


Stinking Corpse Flower: I would choose to save this plant because
it is so unusual.


Bengal Tiger: Bengal  tigers are really endangered and I would save
these because like I said with the polar bear I don’t think that it is fair
the they die out because humans are destroying their habitats


Sumatran Rhino: I think I would save this animal because there
only around 80 left in the world


Eastern Gorilla: I would save the Eastern Gorilla because they are  
cool animal and they should not go extinct because of humans.


Kakapo: I would choose to save this bird because it is native to
NZ and we need to keep it alive.


Kea: I think that the Kea needs saving, it is also another native
animal to NZ, and it can only be found in the South Island so I
think that we need to save it, because it is so rare.


Blue Throated Macaw: I think we should save this bird because
we need to stop poaching and this bird is being hunted by poachers.


Vaquita: This porpoise needs saving because they are so close
to extinction and they are so rare, did you know there is about 30
of these animals left in the world.  




9 comments:

  1. Konichiwa Hannah!

    I agree with you the technology is going to help us alot. Also recording the animals will help by capturing videos they can watch to see what the pests do and build from that.

    I know the true and false answers for the Maui Dolphin work yet because I have already done this task. Numbers 1,2 and 3 are true facts and number 4,5 and 6 are false facts. Am I correct? Do you want to try and help the Maui Dolphins? If you do how would you want to help them and why?

    These 10 animals are great choices for you to help if you could. Could you believe that I have only seen 2 of these animals? Can you guess which ones?

    Keep up the fantastic work Dory! (Hehe)

    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennae!

      You are correct on the Maui dolphin true and false quiz. I probably should have mixed them up but I forgot. I would like to help the Maui dolphin because they deserve to live and not die out because of humans. I also think they are really cool animals anyway.

      It was so hard picking only ten animals to save, because I want to save all of them! But I pretty sure you have seen a Kea, because I think we saw some on our Arthurs Pass camp. I have no clue what other animal you have seen but I am going to guess the Kakapo. I am most likely wrong.
      -Hannah

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannah,

    I'm Evelyn and I am working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you are having fun on this journey!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas about the Cacophony Project video, it's interesting to hear what you have to say. I agree with you, I also think that using technology to catch these pests will be easier and much more helpful!

    These are some great facts about the Māui Dolphin! It will be really interesting to see what other people think are true or false. Have you ever seen dolphins in real life before? I have never seen a Māui Dolphin in real life but I have seen other types of dolphins in aquariums before and they are such gentle and friendly creatures!

    Wow, that is a very impressive list! I can tell that you have put a lot of time and effort into this activity. It's great to see you do a bit of research about these 10 different plants and animals to support the reasons as to why you would like to save them. I think it's awesome to see you include some endangered species in your list. It's really important that we are all aware of what's going on in the world and what we can do to help them.

    Keep up the hard work,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Evelyn,
      I had lots of fun on this task. I have seen dolphins in the water out by a walk called Point Elisabeth. I have also seen them while I was looking off a platform over a seal colony, as well as in the aquarium.
      -Hannah

      Delete
    2. Hi Hannah,

      Wow, that sounds so exciting, I'm sure it was a really special experience for you to see the dolphins in their natural habitat! I would love to visit Point Elizabeth one day, thank you for telling me about it. :)

      Best,
      Evelyn

      Delete
    3. Hi Evelyn,
      Have you seen dolphins in their natural habitat? I would love to see the Maui dolphin in the wild as well as a Macaw.
      What are to animals that you would love to see in the wild?
      Are their any cool walks that you go on where you live?
      -Hannah:):)

      Delete
    4. Hey Hannah,

      I haven't seen dolphins in their natural habitat before but I would love to! I heard you could even go swimming with dolphins, do you think you would like to try that someday?
      I have already seen quite a few animals in the wild since I have been on a safari before but I didn't see any lions or tigers so maybe I would like to see them in the wild. I would have to make sure I stay super far away though! If you could see an animal on a safari, which one would you like to see? I would love to see elephants again!

      Best,
      Evelyn :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Great job on completing this activity! I like how you thought of traps as a means of ridding New Zealand of predators, they would certainly kill less native creatures than 1080, which is a poison that is dropped everywhere which kills pests and native birds alike. Also, the Vaquita isn't the only animal with less than a hundred of them left in the world, which is an unfortunate side effect of logging and oil drilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thank you for commenting on another one of my blog posts. What animal would you most want to save?
      -Hannah:):)

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.