Friday 18 January 2019

SLJ Day 2 Up In The Air Week 3

Activity 1 Bee Informed
The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz, or drone.

Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).

Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.

Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to   50 times as much work as a normal honeybee.

The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the extensive use of pesticides.


Activity 2 Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink
I would put this food down the sink, custard, tomato, cucumber,
grapefruit, cake, mango, avocados and yams.


Activity 3 Flying Fungi
To figure this maths problem out you have to count up in fives seven
times, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, then you have add them up into weeks
and day. So the final answer is 5 weeks and 1 day.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Hannah, (again)

    Its great to see you moving quite quickly through the Summer Learning Journey. How have you found it so far?
    Its amazing on what cool things we don't knwo about bumblebees yet we see them roughly everyday in the summer time and other times throughout the year. Did you know they love it in the season in spring? They love spring because thats when all the flowers bloom and more for them to pollinate.

    This is a great way of figuring the mathematics problem. Although it is still good you could maybe say what the 5 weeks and one day are for.
    Do you like maths?

    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennae,
      I have found the Summer Learning Journey fun so far. What about you did you find the SLJ fun? Thank you for the feed back
      -Hannah

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Hannah!

    Well done for completing this task! Bumblebees are very important to our ecosystems. Have you noticed how small the wings of the bumblebees are? Sometimes I wonder how they are even able to fly! I am super lucky that I have never EVER been stung by a bee before. Have you?

    Oh no! You have put some of my favourite foods down your carbon sink! I love Custard on vanilla sponge cake! MY favourite foods are Mangos, Avocado!

    Well done on answering this tricky maths questions. I would hate to be in one of those yucky mouldy classroom. When I was in school I loved maths! I loved playing mathletics! What maths games do you like to play?


    Keep up the creativity and hard work
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Hasiba,
      I have never been stung by a bee of wasp before. Which is good and bad. Good because I don't have to go through the pain, bad because if I do get stung by one I might have an allergic reaction.

      I am not allergic to anything. What about you are you allergic to anything?

      I like sponge cake but I do not like the thick chocolate cake, YUCK! What things would you put down your sink?

      I enjoy playing maths bingo that we have in my classroom. What maths games do you like to play?
      -Hannah

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Great job on completing this activity! I like how you simplified the math problem to make it easy to figure out. I do not understand why you don't like cake and custard though, are you lactose intolerant or vegan?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.