Friday 1 March 2019

My Selfie Poem
I am from the dog barking loudly upstairs,
from the clatter of forks and the gushing of the tap.
I am from the tricking sound of water
from the creek in the backyard,
and the feel of dog fur on the ground.
I am from the huge leaves of a rhubarb bush,
from the West Coast basketball team thundering down the court.
The fat palm tree growing a lonely flax bush,
from the comfort of watching a movie upstairs.
I’m from “Tea’s ready,” and “Did you feed the pets,”
and from gossiping parents
and grandparents
and sleepy heads.
I’m from sitting in the sun and telling the dog,
“Do you want to go for a walk!”
and from the clatter of dinner plates
and “What do you want for tea?”
I’m from “Be kind to your brother.” and “Don’t hit!”
From the pages of Harry Potter, and “Stop it I do not like it!”.
I am from a family of art and drawing
and watercolour painting in the sun.
I am from cooling of in the creek,
catching moths in the garden.
I am from the burning heat of Perth Australia
and G’day mate and vegemite.
The sound of chicken in the frying pan
and boring vanilla ice - cream,
from the sadness of moving away from my grandad,
his calm and kind nature makes me happy.
A collection of letters from my grandad,
and a special gifted crystal koala
sit in my drawer glowing with memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.