Thursday 17 January 2019

SLJ Day 5 Wasting Away Week 2

Activity 1 Off The Menu
I think it is a fair amount of money to pay.
I think this because some people need to learn that if
we over fish then there will be none left to fish. So if there
is a high price for over fishing then people will not do it again.
That why I think that $100,000 is a good amount of money to pay.


Activity 2 The Black Drain
The Grey River is a polluted river, because it is connected
when there is floods it gets really muddy and the sewage
floods from the pipes and into the river. I  think that some
things are being done to help the water pollution like, stop
more sewage from being dumped.


The second river that is polluted is the Waikato river.
Some of the sewage pollution come from Hamilton city, because
raw sewage is being dumped in the river.  The water quality
in the Waikato river is much better than it used to be in the past.
People have been working to improve the water quality,
by monitoring the water. There have also been clean ups
to help to the river.  


Activity 3 Faded Glory
A fun run on the beach in NZ or Australia, by people paying a small
cost to participate, an have t-shirts and things like that that people can
buy that could say something like "Save The Great Barrier Reef"

A bake sale, where people bake things in and bring them to one place
and sell them and give the money they make to the council. You could
do this in Australia or NZ.

Or a swimming race in the ocean in either Australia or NZ. People pay
a small cost to participate. You could also have food down there like
sausages and ice cream.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah!

    Wow, the final activities for week 2 - you are smashing it! :)

    Activity One:
    Thank you for sharing your opinion on overfishing - you have given a great reason as to why the fines should stay.

    I agree with you - I think that it is really important we are looking out for our fresh water and marine life, especially so we are not fishing animals into extinction!

    I think when the fines are this huge you would have to be pretty silly to be fishing where you are not supposed to or overfishing when you shouldn't be...
    Some people must have a lot of money they don't mind loosing!
    I could not imagine spending that amount of money on a fine - I would be so sad!!

    Activity Two:
    You have done a great job at sharing about the different polluted rivers, I learnt a lot from this post!

    It is a real shame that our rivers are not being taken care of the way they should be, I believe we shouldn't have any polluted rivers due to human activity.
    Do you think there are sollutions to this problem that we haven't thought of yet?

    I used to like riding my bike down to the local river with my brother and dog in the summertime - we would spend the whole afternoon swimming and getting into mischief!
    Do you spend lots of time at your local river swimming during the summer?

    Activity Three:
    These are great ideas for raising funds for Great Barrier Reef!:)

    I think the fun run would be amazing and it is an extra smart idea to sell t-shirts too - I am sure this would make a lot of money!
    Have you done a fun run before? Was it to make profits for something?

    Mmmmmmm bake sale - No one can resist a bake sale!
    Wat would you bring?
    I think I might make lollie cake :)

    A swimming race is also a fantastic idea!
    Especially over the school holidays - not only is it summertime but lots of people have time off and would love to do something like this :)

    Great work on these activities Hannah, you might have to suggest some of these fundraiser ideas in school this year... they're pretty epic!

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellee,
      I would be sad loosing that much money as well. I think that there is solutions that we have not thought of yet that will help polluted rivers. What do you think?

      Last summer my family and I would walk from our house to the beach and me and my younger brother would go swimming in the ocean. I was a bit cold sometimes, I also like going to a lake called Lake Kaneire and jumping of the jetty.

      I have not done a fun run before but I would like to do one in the future. I agree with you on bring lollie cake to a bake sale, I think lots of people like it. I'm happy that you like my ideas for a fundraiser. :)
      -Hannah

      Delete
    2. Hi Hannah!

      Yeah I think we could definintely be doing more to keep our rivers healthy!I think we need to tap into our kiwi ingenuity to come up with future thinking ulternatives. :)

      I do really like your ideas for fundraisers - Yeah lollie cakes is a winner I think, can't beat a classic :)

      Ellee

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannah!

    I agree with you 100%! Being fined for overfishing is fair. Like you said they do need to learn to not overfish by getting fined

    I've seen the Grey River before perhaps it runs through our town, Greymouth! Each time I see the Grey River its with my family because most Sundays we have a drive aroun town and look at new things and always go to the tip head in blake town and feed the seagulls by hand. Have you ever done that?

    These are great ideas to raise money to help the Great Barrier Reef. A bake sale is a great thing to do. Baking is really easy and I thinks it fun.

    Ka Pai on these activities Hannah

    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennae,
      I have not hand fed seagulls but I have hand fed ducks. I agree with you that baking is fun
      -Hannah

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Great job on completing this activity! I don't think that the fine of $10,000 is very fair, because even though people over fish a few fish aren't worth thousands of dollars, and those fines might cost them their boats or even their businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      You make a good point, and I respect your opinion, but I still think that if there is a place that has been over fished then people need to learn not to fish there.
      -Hannah

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.