Saturday 19 January 2019

SLJ Day 5 Here To Stay Week 3

Activity 1 Persistent Pollution
1. I did not know that when we burn fossil fuel they let off greenhouse
gases such as, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrous Oxide, Methane and
Fluorinated Gasses that trap heat in the earth's atmosphere
creating an increase in  global warming.


2. I did not know that climate change had an increase in mold and
that there is more pollen.


3. I did not know that smog can cause serious health problems.


Activity 2 Changing Climates
  1. I like to watch TV and movies with my family.
  2. I like to spend time with my pets.
  3. Another thing I like to do is draw and paint.
  4. I also like watching the rain from my window
  5. I also like reading and playing games with my family


Activity 3 Let It Rain
The pitter patter of the Nitric and Sulfuric acid rain on the roof had
stopped. Slowly opening the door I look around, the flowers are
wilted and dead. The trees stripped of leaves, leaving only the
damp bark. The leaves that were once thriving now, shrivelled
on the ground in a pile.


I look up and the clouds are a murky grey, with the wind
pushing them along black sky. I walk down my driveway to the
road, the wet gravel crunching under my every step.
Reaching the road the flowing dark smelly mist floats by me.
The grass on the side of the road is lying flat, after being
battered by the pounding acid rain. The creek on the side of
the road catches my eyes as dark brown water flows between
the rocks.


The once vibrant trees now with barely any leaves and the colour
 has been drained away after the storm. I walk back inside feeling
sad at the sights I have seen.




5 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hannah!

    Great work on another awesome post! Thank you for sharing the three new things that you learned about air pollution from this video. Smog is horrible and it is a problem for a lot of cities. You’re right about the serious health problems! Smog decreases the lungs' working capacity, and causing shortness of breath, pain when inhaling deeply, wheezing, and coughing.

    Like you, I also love to to watch TV and movies with my family. I also love to watch movies and read on a rainy day. Do you have a favourite author by any chance? I have just finished reading Whale Pot Bay by Des Hunt! He is a New Zealand author! He writes wonderful novels about young people. You should look for his books at your local library.

    This is awesome! I really enjoyed reading your story. You have used great language feature when you said . I walk down my driveway to the road, the wet gravel crunching under my every step” I can totally imagine what your world would be like after an acid rain. You are a wonderful writer! I hope you never experience acid rain!

    Keep up the creativity and hard work
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Konichiwa Hasiba,
      I also love to read on a rainy day. Who do you watch movies with?

      I don't know if I have a favourite author, I enjoy reading a variety of authors books. Lately I have been into reading Harry Potter. (I am a bit late) I am on the second book, The Chamber Of Secrets.

      I also hope to that I never experience acid rain. Have you ever had acid rain where you live?
      -Hannah

      Delete
  2. Hello Hannah!
    Its amazing on what we don't know about our world. Pollution has a bad impact on our enviroments. It has changed the way we have been acting.

    These are great actvities you do when its raining.Whats your favourite activity to do with your family? I actually do some of these activities as well with my family .

    Have you ever seen acid rain? These pargraphs explain what it would be like to see it. I think everything would of losts its colour as well as them all dying

    Keep up the awesome work Hannah
    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennae,
      My favourite thing to do with my family on a rainy day is probably watching movies and TV with them. I read your story about the acid rain and it was really good.
      -Hannah

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Great job on completing this activity! A place with a lot of smog is China, where, at sunset, the light from the sun causes the smog to look really pretty, which makes it seem harmless, but it actually causes a lot of health problems and lots of Chinese people wear face masks so they don't get sick.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.