Wednesday 16 January 2019

SLJ Day 3 Week 1 Awesome Animals

Activity 1 Fantastic Beasts
My beast would have eight deep blue pointed eyes and a oval like head.
Tall and lean it would have a long skinny body with winding arms and wiry legs.
My beast would be able to jump onto the tallest point in the world.
Its leathery pitch black suit would shine in the light, with bright yellow stripes
going up its arms and legs. A strong pungent lemon smell wafting from its
body. My beast would make a deep hissing sound and have a menacing
snarl sure to scare you off.


Activity 2 The Secretive Skink
Pros
  • You get to look after cool native NZ animals
  • You get to live around the amazing wildlife
  • Finally you get to help make sure that the native NZ nature survives


Cons
  • You have to live on the island away from your family for a certain amount
  • of time
  • If you are a DOC ranger that uses 1080 then other people might hate
    you because you’re using a bad chemical.
  • They could be getting paid less than they should
I would not want to be a DOC ranger because it is not what I want to do when
I am older.

Activity 3 World Wildlife Fund

  1. World Wildlife fund is working to save the Saimaa Seal.
  2. Volunteers are helping to build snow banks for the seals.
  3. The seals are using the snow banks to give birth to their babies.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah!

    My name is Ellee, I work alongside Hasiba on the Summer Learning Journey team!
    Looks like you have been really busy posting activities for the Summer Learning Journey! Awesome work :)
    Hope you are looking forward to returning to school soon?

    Activity One:
    Woah this sounds like an epic beast - I like that he/she has a strong, pungent lemon smell! Do you like the smell of lemons?
    I think that would be quite a nice smell to have as a beast :)

    I also like the way you have discribed how your beast looks and behaves - sounds like they might be a bit scary - Is your beast your friend?

    You have used some amazing descriptive language Hannah, awesome work - I hope I will get to learn more about your beast!

    Activity Two:
    These are some great pro's and con's to being a DOC worker, awesome thinking.

    I like that you have thought about saving and protecting wildlife/nature - I think that would be a pretty rewarding part of the job too.

    You have also had some really wise thoughts about the con's - I like that you have thought about the use of 1080 and whether you agree with that or not - I don't think the use of 1080 is very good either.

    There is one last question with this activity Hannah - Do you think you would like to be a DOC worker? Have a think and you can add your answer to your post! :)

    Activity Three:
    You have done a great job at summarising the information you learnt from the video! :)

    I thought it was pretty cool how they were creating the snowbanks - looked like a big job - would you like to do somehting like that?
    I think it would be pretty rewarding (even though I am not too fond of the cold!)

    Great work Hannah - Keep it up! :)

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellee,
      I like the smell of lemons, what about you?
      I would like to help with something like the snowbanks, so that I can help the seals. I will go back and add my answer to my work.
      -Hannah

      Delete
  2. Hi Hannah,
    Great job on completing this activity! I think that your concern regarding 1080 is valid, lots of native birds as well as their predators have died because of it. Do you think that the Saimaa Seal pups are cold because they are born inside of the snow? What does a Saimaa Seal look like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      I don'y know but seal pups could be cold because they are born in the snow. But then they are born to live in the cold climates.
      Saimaa Seals have a little bit of fur and they have cute little rings all over there body.
      -Hannah

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.