Tuesday 4 September 2018

Ski Trip Response

WALT access and use information to make and action safe choices in a range of contexts.
WALT demonstrate a willingness to accept challenges, learn new skills,
and extend abilities in movement-related activities.
WALT specify individual responsibilities and to take collective action for
the care and safety of others in the school and in the wider community.


Success Criteria:
  • I will discuss and demonstrate my understanding of the Skier’s Code of
  • Conduct in pre-ski discussion and through my actions on the ski field… making
  • responsible and appropriate choices throughout Ski Day.
  • I will undertake ski/snowboard lessons suitable for my skill level, seeking to
  • improve my technique and control.

  • I will be correctly equipped for my participation in Ski Day.
  • I will create a response to the ski trip to share my new learning.

On the 14/8/18 Ruma Tahi went on a ski trip.
We went to Porters Pass ski field. We had to meet at school at quarter
to seven in the morning. As people were walked in the door Mrs Martin
gave you a orange armband that you had to have on all day. Mrs Kemp
over the rules and  we went in our car groups. My dad took transport so
I went with him, we also had Nathan J and his dad in our car. It took around
two and a half hours to get to Porters Pass. We got there around 9:30 am.


Once we got there we had to wait outside the ski building and wait for everyone
else to get there. Once everyone was there we had to line up in groups,
First time skiing and second or more time skiing. Then Jason, who worked
there, called out our name and we got a number written on our hand.


We had to go in and get our boots and hire pants or jackets.
Next we had to get our helmet,skis and goggles. Next we had to go to
the beginners slope and practice how to turn and stop. Once you go down
the hill you have to backup the magic carpet. To stop you  make a pizza shape
with skies and to turn you lean to one side.


Some people got to go down the intimidate slope. To get to the top you have
to go up a poma. We had to stop and have lunch and snacks and stay hydrated.
We had to be back at the ski hire at around 3 to 3:30 pm to take off our ski
boots and hire things, also the ski field closes at 4:00 pm. We then had to get
back into our car groups and go back to school, we got there around 5:00 pm.


I really enjoyed going skiing with my friends and classmates.  I got onto
the intimidate slope and I had fun on it. My next steps is to maybe get onto
the jumps. I would like to thank the people who work at Porters Ski Field for
ijb making this day possible.


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Hannah, I enjoyed reading your ski trip response but I am not sure what ijb means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Hannah,
    WOW skiing certainly sounds like a full on day but lots of fun too! Did your Dad get to ski with you too? Getting all of the gear takes a lot of time but you def need all of it to keep warm and safe on the ski fields. Had you been on a poma before? You've got to be able to balance well on them! I have to concentrate really hard and have fallen off many times! How about you?
    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.